White sage plant is also called “salvia apiana”. It is considered to be sacred and is also used for many purposes like medicine and food.
- American’s use this plant to encourage protection by removing negative energy and to ward off the evil spirit.
- It is also used in rituals and ceremonies to get blessings of prosperity and health.
White sage smudging
The ritual of sage cleansing by burning the leaves of the white sage plant is called “smudging”.
Types of sage used for S
- White sage (Salvia apiana)
- Other Salvia species
- White prairie sage, or estafiate (Artemisia ludoviciana)
- Other Artemisia species
Benefits of burning sage:
You must be thinking “what is sage used for?” and what are the “benefits of burning sage?” and “what does burning sage do?”
Continue reading to know more about the uses of sage!
- Sage is filled with antimicrobial properties. It also has the amazing benefit of repelling insects.
- It is believed to clear out spiritual impurities.
- Burning sage can be a blessing for people who are suffering from asthma, bronchitis, allergies, and other respiratory problems.
(Note: if you are suffering from any respiratory problem, do not inhale the smoke. Before spending time in the room, wait till the smoke clears)
- Burning sage helps in ridding negative energy and wards off evil spirits.
- Sage has a lovely divine aroma and hence can be used as air freshness and the point to note is – it is chemical free and hence the best air freshener.
- The divine fragrance helps in boosting up once energy.
- It also helps in improving mood, strengthens intuition, reduces stress and also improves one’s focus.
- It also improves the quality of sleep.
How to use sage?
Are you thinking – “how to sage a house?” Before knowing that, we will discuss on the basic tools or materials required for burning sage in house.
- Bundle of sage or smudge stick.
- Bowl to hold burning sage (It can be a seashell, ceramic – clay or glass bowl)
- Matches, to light the sage
- Fan or feather (Optional)
How to sage a house? (Smudging)
Before burning sage to cleanse a house, it is recommended to leave a window open; as it is believed that the sage smoke takes impurities and negativity with it.
Follow the below mentioned steps to smudge yourself, your home or any object. Remember to treat the ritual with respect.
Step 1: Use matches to light the end of a sage bundle.
Step 2: Once the sage leaves release thick smoke; direct the smoke around the area you want to cleanse (It can be your body, your home, or any object)
Step 3: Allow the smoke to linger on the area you are focusing on. You can even use a feather or a fan to direct the smoke.
Step 4: Allow the ash to get deposited in a bowl (Bowl can be of ceramic or glass. You can even use a shell)
After finishing the smudging process, make sure your smudge stick is completely extinguished. To do this, dab the lit end of the sage leaves into a small bowl.
Check the end closely to make sure there are no more embers burning. Once it’s completely put out, store it in a safe, dry place.
Smudging your home
Smudging home or living space is done for spiritual purposes.
Smudging an object:
This is done to new items like furniture, clothing, and jewelry. It is done to protect from negative energy. You can smudge special objects to protect the sacred meaning and also smudge items related to negative memories.
You can burn sage to improve odor, fragrance, and mood.
White sage cleansing ceremonies are popular for centuries; Native Americans believe this plant is very sacred.
- White sage smudging is the best and most preferred one.
- You can purchase the white sage or you can use dried sage leaves from the garden.
- The smoke of the white sage has amazing cleansing and healing properties. It is believed to cleanse and heal the negativity in the space by attaching itself.
- White sage can be consumed; it is usually brewed as a tea. But it should never be consumed in large quantities.
- Consuming sage in larger quantities is not good. It can create complications like rapid heart rate, dizziness, and seizures.
Benefits of white sage
Because of the varied benefits of white sage, it is used for various purposes.
White sage is used for –
- Physical healing
- Spiritual healing and
- It is also used in aromatherapy.
- Because of the great medical properties of white sage, it is been used by Native Americans for ages.
- It is used as stimulant and diuretic.
- Antioxidants, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties are offered by sacred white sage.
- It helps in preventing infections and also boosts overall health.
- It is also used to treat problems related to digestion.
- Sage tea has great benefits and hence it is used in varies therapies to soothe cold, kidney problem, sprains, liver problem, and also in treating joint pains.
Below mentioned are some of the spiritual uses of the sage herb.
- It is used for spiritual cleansing of the soul, living place, sacred objects, and also in cleansing newly purchased objects.
- Burning white sage removes the negative energy.
- After burning Californian white sage, you will experience positive energies.
- It is also used to seek blessings of health and prosperity.
- Spirit of sage is believed to offer protection, blessings, and clearing.
White sage in aromatherapy:
- White sage has a lovely scent which lasts longer and hence can b used as a room freshener.
- If there is anything which stinks like used carpets or mat, the area around garbage bin; then burn white sage incense near the stinking areaand leave them smelling fresh for few weeks or days.
Health benefits of white sage:
- Inhaling the aroma of white sage or drinking it as a tea helps in treating sinus infections.
- A cup of white sage tea can be used to treat indigestion.
- Sage tea can calm a sore throat.
- If you are suffering from menstrual period cramps, then drink a cup of sage tea, it helps in relieving pain.
- The aroma of sage can be used to treat mild depression and anxiety.
- To get better sleep and to improve sleep quality, burn sage in your bedroom before sleeping.
- Inhaling the fragrance of white sage can improve alertness and even enhance cognition.
- Inhaling the aroma of white sage can have the energizing effect and even fights off the feeling of fatigue.
- Cold tea compress can be used to treat wound and rashes.
How does burning white sage work?
- The ritual of burning white sage leaves is called smudging. In this process, the smoke of white sage is directed onto the areas that need protection and cleansing.
- As the leaves burn, one should express gratitude for its assistance and support. The spirit of the sage plant will release energy to offer protection and cleansing.
- It is believed that as the smoke moves around, it attracts all the negativity present around and the spirit of white sage carries the negativity that is attracted by it.
- Once you light the white sage leaves, do not stop it from burning. It is believed that the spirit of sage knows how much negative energy is around and it will burn accordingly.
- If the negative energy is more, then the entire sage burns; if the negative energy is less, then it will burn for some time and goes off very.
- The smoke of white sage drifts in a particular direction or part which requires protection or healing from negative energy.
Safety tips to be taken while burning sage:
- After burning the sage, use a heatproof bowl to put the sage in.
- Avoid direct blowing of air from the fan and open door or window on the burning sage; because the blowing air can ignite the sage and it can blow sparks and ashes out of the bowl.
- Remember, the release of energy comes from smoke and not from flames. So once the flame comes to life, blow it off using a hand fan or feather.
Difference between white sage and regular sage:
Regular/ common sage:
- It is also called as Salvia officianalis, garden sage and kitchen sage.
- It is used in cooking, to add flavor and also for medical purposes.
- It is used for treating ailments related to mouth and throat.
- It is also used in treating skin ailments like sores, abscesses, and wounds.
- It is also called as Salvia apiana.
- Native Americans used the seeds of white sage as food and to heal their eyes.
- The roots were used for after birth healing.
- The leaves are used to treat cold, sinus problem, to control lactation and also as a shampoo.
- White sage is used in the purification and cleansing process of smudging.
- The sage is burned with the belief that the incense clears away negative thoughts, spirits and dreams as well as illness.
Important information about sage:
- Both types of sages come with potential side effects; hence do not use common sage for a longer period of time.
- If you are pregnant, do not use common sage.
- Consuming sage for a long time can lead to vomiting; can damage the kidney, seizures, rapid heart rate, vertigo and other problems too.
Some of the frequently asked queries are listed below.
- Why burn sage and what does burning sage do?
Sage is burnt to cleanse and heal a person, place, or a thing. It is believed to wash off an evil spirit and negative energy.
- What is the meaning of burning sage?
Burning sage (smudging) in sacred space, home/ living space or office, or smudging once body is like taking an energetic shower to remove the negativity. Any conflict, anger, illness or evil will be absorbed by the sage.
- Why do people burn sage?
People burn sages to purify, cleanse, and remove negative energy.
- What is sage used for spiritual?
Spiritually sage is used to offer protection, blessings, and cleansing for negative energy.
- What is white sage used for?
White sage is used for spiritual healing, physical healing, and is also used in aromatherapy.